Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Characteristic of or relating to metaphor; figurative.‘many of our metaphorical expressions develop from our perceptions of the body’
figurative, allegorical, analogous, symbolic, emblematicimaginative, fanciful, extendedparabolic, tropicalView synonyms
- ‘All the proposed reasons given have been either metaphorical or analogous.’
- ‘These anthropomorphic characterizations are not to be taken simply as figurative or metaphorical.’
- ‘But is a call to metaphorical arms against an imaginary adversary counter-productive?’
- ‘The metaphorical mist that has been fugging up my brain has disappeared, only to be replaced by real mist fugging up my windscreen.’
- ‘Salt's ability to preserve and sustain life has made it a metaphorical symbol in every religion.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.