One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Characteristic of or relating to metaphor; figurative.‘many of our metaphorical expressions develop from our perceptions of the body’
figurative, allegorical, analogous, symbolic, emblematicView synonyms
- ‘But is a call to metaphorical arms against an imaginary adversary counter-productive?’
- ‘These anthropomorphic characterizations are not to be taken simply as figurative or metaphorical.’
- ‘All the proposed reasons given have been either metaphorical or analogous.’
- ‘Salt's ability to preserve and sustain life has made it a metaphorical symbol in every religion.’
- ‘The metaphorical mist that has been fugging up my brain has disappeared, only to be replaced by real mist fugging up my windscreen.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.