Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] Alteration of the composition or structure of a rock by heat, pressure, or other natural agency.‘all the rocks were subjected to several phases of metamorphism and deformation’
- ‘Baked contacts with host rocks indicate that metamorphism associated with intrusion predates shearing.’
- ‘However, this age could equally relate to post obduction metamorphism.’
- ‘No such difference in the pressure or temperature of metamorphism in the country rock is detectable.’
- ‘Both thrust and normal faults initiated synchronously with Miocene prograde metamorphism and melting, and have moved episodically since then.’
- ‘A striking characteristic of the Hellenides in the Aegean is the southward propagation of nappe emplacement and high - pressure metamorphism.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.