One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- another term for somite
- ‘An organism is considered metameric when its body is mostly formed of serially repeated anatomical units called metameres.’
- ‘Any particular abdominal metamere usually consists of only two sclerites, the tergum and sternum.’
- ‘In the vertebrates the metamere is evident in the embryonic stages and tends to disappear in the adults.’
- ‘Rudimentary tracheal metameres invaginate but lack primary branching and interconnections.’
- ‘The metameres are visible rings on the outside and are separated by partitions on the inside.’
Late 19th century: from meta- ‘together with’ + Greek meros ‘part’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.