Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[treated as singular] The field of study that deals with the structure and formal properties of mathematics and similar formal systems.
- ‘Proof theory, a form of metamathematics, studies the ways in which proofs are used in mathematics.’
- ‘Thus, only in his early sixties did Hilbert truly proceed to create proof theory and metamathematics.’
- ‘Furthermore, Hilbert's work on metamathematics has greatly improved our understanding of the nature of mathematical reasoning.’
- ‘In conjunction with the twenty-fourth problem, this shows that, even at the time, he had at least a vague idea of metamathematics.’
- ‘Tarski made important contributions in many areas of mathematics: set theory, measure theory, topology, geometry, classical and universal algebra, algebraic logic, various branches of formal logic and metamathematics.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.