One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A synthetic composite material with a structure such that it exhibits properties not usually found in natural materials, especially a negative refractive index.‘the team began making these metamaterials and demonstrated several that scattered electromagnetic waves unlike any known materials’
- ‘So far researchers have only developed metamaterials that divert radar and microwaves - rather than light waves, which are the key to invisibility.’
- ‘The team used two different wedge samples so that waves would be incident on the metamaterial at two different angles.’
- ‘Left-handed materials - such as this "metamaterial" for microwaves - are reported to bend light in the opposite direction from normal materials, a property that might lead to a "perfect" lens.’
- ‘But the negative-index metamaterials that have been demonstrated are far more dispersive than typical materials.’
- ‘Such a small index does not mean the speed of light exceeds that of a vacuum: this rule of thumb breaks down in metamaterials.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.