One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A musical instrument in which the sound is produced by striking metal bars of varying pitches.
- ‘A metallophone consisting of a graduated series of steel bars, usually arranged like the piano keyboard, struck with hard beaters of brass, plastic, or wood.’
- ‘The metallophone orchestras of Southeast Asia also reflect diasporic patterns, for they have spread throughout the region, where they express linguistic, economic and musical connections.’
- ‘The former work is rather seductive, thanks in part to the coos of the three female vocalists and also because of the exotic tones of the marimbas, glockenspiels, and metallophone.’
- ‘It consists of bronze gongs, keyed metallophones (like xylophones), drums, a flute, a rebab fiddle, and a celempung zither.’
- ‘One of their most popular musical ensembles played during such occasions is the gamelan, an instrumental ensemble made up of drums, xylophones, metallophones, tuned gongs, and bamboo flutes.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.