One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A musical instrument in which the sound is produced by striking metal bars of varying pitches.
- ‘A metallophone consisting of a graduated series of steel bars, usually arranged like the piano keyboard, struck with hard beaters of brass, plastic, or wood.’
- ‘One of their most popular musical ensembles played during such occasions is the gamelan, an instrumental ensemble made up of drums, xylophones, metallophones, tuned gongs, and bamboo flutes.’
- ‘The metallophone orchestras of Southeast Asia also reflect diasporic patterns, for they have spread throughout the region, where they express linguistic, economic and musical connections.’
- ‘The former work is rather seductive, thanks in part to the coos of the three female vocalists and also because of the exotic tones of the marimbas, glockenspiels, and metallophone.’
- ‘It consists of bronze gongs, keyed metallophones (like xylophones), drums, a flute, a rebab fiddle, and a celempung zither.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.