One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
treated as singular The branch of linguistics that deals with metalanguages.
- ‘We examine the role that Bakhtin's ‘metalinguistics’ plays for translators.’
- ‘Morphological awareness, as part of metalinguistics, involves reflection on language and its use and skills of monitoring and planning.’
- ‘Results indicate a positive attitude to but poor knowledge of metalinguistics in the process of learning to read.’
- ‘There is no introductory editorial discussing the title or theme of the volume or its intended audience, but the essays mostly deal with language and metalinguistics in some way.’
- ‘In the opinion of the author, metalinguistics is a systematic reflection on linguistic theories and linguistic texts (regarded as manifestations of a particular linguistic theory or concept).’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.