One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
treated as singular The branch of linguistics that deals with metalanguages.
- ‘In the opinion of the author, metalinguistics is a systematic reflection on linguistic theories and linguistic texts (regarded as manifestations of a particular linguistic theory or concept).’
- ‘We examine the role that Bakhtin's ‘metalinguistics’ plays for translators.’
- ‘There is no introductory editorial discussing the title or theme of the volume or its intended audience, but the essays mostly deal with language and metalinguistics in some way.’
- ‘Results indicate a positive attitude to but poor knowledge of metalinguistics in the process of learning to read.’
- ‘Morphological awareness, as part of metalinguistics, involves reflection on language and its use and skills of monitoring and planning.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.