One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A solid made by polymerizing acetaldehyde, used in slug pellets and as a fuel for portable stoves.
- ‘Either prepared slug bait sold under various trade names or dust containing metaldehyde is satisfactory.’
- ‘Chemical slug pellets and baits that contain metaldehyde are widely available commercially, however label directions must be followed carefully.’
- ‘Several bait formulations of metaldehyde are labeled for use on soybean for slug control.’
- ‘Slug pellets, based on metaldehyde, are cheap and effective.’
- ‘Sluggo can be used around pets and wildlife, and it remains potent for a longer time compared to metaldehyde.’
Mid 19th century: from meta- + aldehyde.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.