Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
treated as singular The scientific study of the set of metabolites present within an organism, cell, or tissue.‘the potential of metabolomics in the early detection of cancer is also being explored’
- ‘"In our study, we propose to evaluate whether the new field of metabolomics can be used to diagnose asthma and follow its treatment," Hammock said.’
- ‘Taken together, metabolomics has reached a resolution where it can serve to provide a system-oriented characterization of gene function, and cellular and physiological responses, although it still needs further improvement.’
- ‘Biology is going through a revolution driven by a series of technological breakthroughs in genomics, proteomics, and metabolomics.’
- ‘"The metabolomics is already used to predict the drug toxicity in the earlier stage and it is also expected to play an important role in the personal medicine," Yang said.’
- ‘It has been well recognized that one of the limitations of metabolomics has been the difficulty in automating the process of grouping peaks that represent the same compound in multiple chromatograms.’
1990s: from metabolome + -ics, on the pattern of genomics.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.