Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The rate at which metabolism occurs in a living organism.‘many people come into my office convinced that they have a low metabolic rate’
- ‘Your metabolic rate decreases about 10 percent while you sleep; eating breakfast restores that deficit.’
- ‘Chillis are associated with a range of health-giving properties including a blood-thinning effect and a speeding of the body's metabolic rate.’
- ‘Reduction in metabolic rate also leads to under-utilization of glycogen stores in the liver, leading to its accumulation.’
- ‘At higher altitudes, appetite generally decreases and metabolic rate increases - up to 7 percent in women.’
- ‘With a high metabolic rate, otters have to eat significant amounts of food regularly.’
- ‘Your resting metabolic rate is probably the most significant facet of metabolism.’
- ‘Metabolic rate varies considerably from person to person.’
- ‘Shift working disrupts the body by affecting blood temperature, blood sugar levels, metabolic rate and general mental efficiency.’
- ‘In adulthood, the average basal metabolic rate (BMR) declines 2 to 3 percent per decade.’
- ‘Regular exercise will increase your appetite but your increased metabolic rate will more than compensate for it.’
- ‘It is muscle activity that is responsible for most of your metabolic rate level, so if there is less muscle, fewer calories will be burnt.’
- ‘In order to lose weight, your body needs to burn more calories than you consume, so the more exercise you take, the more you'll burn and the higher your metabolic rate will be.’
- ‘Long-term training helps you add significant amounts of muscle tissue, causing small increases in your metabolic rate.’
- ‘The metabolic rate after a workout using one-minute rest periods was almost double that of an identical workout with three-minute rest periods.’
- ‘To a certain extent, a person's basal metabolic rate is inherited - passed on through the genes a person gets from his or her parents.’
- ‘Patients with suspected hypothyroidism are usually asked to take their basal axillary temperature, which provides a crude estimate of basal metabolic rate.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.