One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- short for meta key
- ‘Each of these elements is enclosed in angle brackets and begins with the word ‘meta’ (< meta… >).’
- ‘A predecessor of the pop-up window, the fast meta refresh trick involves opening one page and almost instantly having your browser redirected to another page.’
- ‘If you frequently use Alt keys-for example, if you use Emacs and Alt is your meta key-you probably will prefer this.’
(of a creative work) referring to itself or to the conventions of its genre; self-referential.‘the enterprise is inherently ‘meta’, since it doesn't review movies, for example, it reviews the reviewers who review movies’
- ‘Have we been, again, duped by the dripping irony that infects the post / meta genre, rendering it all but useless?’
- ‘It's really easy to criticize a bad record, but impossible to do great music justice in ink (or meta ink for that matter).’
- ‘It's a song about several songs, and this meta aspect never sounds forced or calculated - instead, it seems artful and intuitive.’
1980s: from meta-.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.