Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The form of RNA in which genetic information transcribed from DNA as a sequence of bases is transferred to a ribosome.
- ‘Exons were assigned by comparison of messenger RNA and genomic sequences.’
- ‘This is where the cell decides which genes are to be transcribed into messenger RNA, which then serves as an instruction to make proteins.’
- ‘This rate closely matches the rate at which ribosomes translate along an mRNA sequence.’
- ‘It is difficult to identify a gene from a genomic sequence unless a messenger RNA from of the gene has been previously isolated, according to Fannon.’
- ‘Complementary DNA was made from messenger RNA using reverse transcription with a polydT primer.’
- ‘We extracted poly-A tailed messenger RNA separately from the planarian head portion and the body portions.’
- ‘The transcriptional and translational silencing of pseudogenes would add to the tagging system mediated by transfer and messenger RNA.’
- ‘These stages include transcription, posttranscriptional processing, translation, and messenger RNA degradation.’
- ‘The researchers then produced from the DNA sequences the corresponding messenger RNA (mRNA).’
- ‘Gene expression in all organisms comprises the transcription of a certain gene on the DNA into messenger RNA through RNA polymerase starting from the promoter site, and its subsequent translation into a protein.’
- ‘RNA polymerase processes along the DNA, transcribing the DNA into messenger RNA (mRNA).’
- ‘So-called messenger RNA carries the genetic information from the DNA in the nucleus of the cell to the surrounding cytoplasm, where it ‘instructs’ the ribosome to produce life-giving proteins.’
- ‘This conclusion was reached prior to the discovery of messenger RNA, transfer RNA, or the mechanism of translation.’
- ‘The system relies on short DNA sequences in bacterial messenger RNA that bind selectively to a specific small molecule.’
- ‘Precocious foragers-bees stimulated to forage early-also have significantly higher brain levels of the gene's messenger RNA and four-fold higher levels of the enzyme.’
- ‘After genetic information from DNA is transferred to messenger RNA, the mRNA data is transferred to the protein during what is called translation.’
- ‘Many were either in untranslated regions of the gene's messenger RNA transcript or in regions that are spliced out before the message is translated into protein.’
- ‘This method generates quantitative estimates of the abundance of short sequence tags from messenger RNA.’
- ‘In RNA editing, specific nucleotides within the sequences of messenger RNA transcripts are modified during or after splicing.’
- ‘One way to measure gene expression is to measure levels of messenger RNA - that's RNA that translates the genetic information of DNA into proteins.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.