1Relating to or denoting the era between the Palaeozoic and Cenozoic eras, comprising the Triassic, Jurassic, and Cretaceous periods.
- ‘The tectonic superimpositions of Cretaceous back reef carbonate deposits on older Mesozoic back reef carbonate rock are visible from Monte Faito to Agerola.’
- ‘These are accompanied by much smaller sets of petrographic thin sections from Mesozoic and Cenozoic carbonate strata.’
- ‘The pre-Andean and Andean orogenies are separated by a Mesozoic transitional period, which is marked by a very different style of tectonism and magmatism.’
- ‘Upper Permian to Triassic Megacycle (onset of rifling in the Mesozoic Iberian basin).’
- ‘In later Palaeozoic, Mesozoic, and Cenozoic sequences they can be extremely abundant.’
- ‘In contrast to the Mesozoic examples, Cenozoic fossil beds usually contain common to abundant shell fragments.’
- ‘A variety of Mesozoic and Cenozoic conifers, including Pagiophyllum, Sequoia, and Metasequoia are available for you to study.’
- ‘This requires the removal of 80-100 km of Archaean lithosphere since Mesozoic time.’
- ‘In general these rift basins are poorly exposed and form low-relief areas surrounded by rugged hills composed predominantly of Precambrian to Mesozoic rocks.’
- ‘Fossiliferous, shallow-marine, Mesozoic and Cenozoic deposits are abundant in Japan.’
- ‘Thus uplift and exhumation of metamorphic basement rocks and ductile thrust fabrics in Karlik Tagh are a combination of Mesozoic and Cenozoic thrusting and erosion.’
- ‘Thus with the water drained from the land, the subsequent volcanic activity in the Mesozoic and Cainozoic would be sub-aerial.’
- ‘We believe that many Mesozoic and Cenozoic obducted ophiolite belts of SE Asia are fragments of fore-arc or back-arc lithosphere.’
- ‘The date assigned to the strata was, of course, Mesozoic, namely Cretaceous.’
- ‘The offshore stratigraphy contains several westward-prograding units of Cenozoic age that drape across the buried Mesozoic rift shoulder faults.’
- ‘It is underlain by continental crust (a Mesozoic nappe stack).’
- ‘A similar inter-relationship between strikeslip faulting and plutonism was suggested for the Mesozoic batholith of California.’
- ‘Changes in Mesozoic and Cenozoic thicknesses and facies across the northsouth faults indicate their pre-collisional origins.’
- ‘The Triassic Period is the first geological period of the Mesozoic era or ‘Age of Reptiles’.’
- ‘Mafic dike suites within Mesozoic igneous provinces of New England and Atlantic Canada.’
- 1.1as noun the Mesozoic The Mesozoic era or the system of rocks deposited during it.
Mid 19th century: from meso- ‘intermediate’ + Greek zōion ‘animal’ (referring to the appearance of the first mammals) + -ic.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.