Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Relating to or denoting the era between the Palaeozoic and Cenozoic eras, comprising the Triassic, Jurassic, and Cretaceous periods.
- ‘The tectonic superimpositions of Cretaceous back reef carbonate deposits on older Mesozoic back reef carbonate rock are visible from Monte Faito to Agerola.’
- ‘These are accompanied by much smaller sets of petrographic thin sections from Mesozoic and Cenozoic carbonate strata.’
- ‘The pre-Andean and Andean orogenies are separated by a Mesozoic transitional period, which is marked by a very different style of tectonism and magmatism.’
- ‘Upper Permian to Triassic Megacycle (onset of rifling in the Mesozoic Iberian basin).’
- ‘In later Palaeozoic, Mesozoic, and Cenozoic sequences they can be extremely abundant.’
- ‘In contrast to the Mesozoic examples, Cenozoic fossil beds usually contain common to abundant shell fragments.’
- ‘A variety of Mesozoic and Cenozoic conifers, including Pagiophyllum, Sequoia, and Metasequoia are available for you to study.’
- ‘This requires the removal of 80-100 km of Archaean lithosphere since Mesozoic time.’
- ‘In general these rift basins are poorly exposed and form low-relief areas surrounded by rugged hills composed predominantly of Precambrian to Mesozoic rocks.’
- ‘Fossiliferous, shallow-marine, Mesozoic and Cenozoic deposits are abundant in Japan.’
- ‘Thus uplift and exhumation of metamorphic basement rocks and ductile thrust fabrics in Karlik Tagh are a combination of Mesozoic and Cenozoic thrusting and erosion.’
- ‘Thus with the water drained from the land, the subsequent volcanic activity in the Mesozoic and Cainozoic would be sub-aerial.’
- ‘We believe that many Mesozoic and Cenozoic obducted ophiolite belts of SE Asia are fragments of fore-arc or back-arc lithosphere.’
- ‘The date assigned to the strata was, of course, Mesozoic, namely Cretaceous.’
- ‘The offshore stratigraphy contains several westward-prograding units of Cenozoic age that drape across the buried Mesozoic rift shoulder faults.’
- ‘It is underlain by continental crust (a Mesozoic nappe stack).’
- ‘A similar inter-relationship between strikeslip faulting and plutonism was suggested for the Mesozoic batholith of California.’
- ‘Changes in Mesozoic and Cenozoic thicknesses and facies across the northsouth faults indicate their pre-collisional origins.’
- ‘The Triassic Period is the first geological period of the Mesozoic era or ‘Age of Reptiles’.’
- ‘Mafic dike suites within Mesozoic igneous provinces of New England and Atlantic Canada.’
- 1.1as noun the Mesozoic The Mesozoic era or the system of rocks deposited during it.
Mid 19th century: from meso- ‘intermediate’ + Greek zōion ‘animal’ (referring to the appearance of the first mammals) + -ic.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.