Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A plant needing only a moderate amount of water.
- ‘Consequently, cuticles of plant species adapted to dry conditions have, by one to two orders of magnitude, lower permeances for water than cuticles of mesophytes from more humid climates.’
- ‘According to these considerations, the factor of light appears as the first of many different environmental factors for the ecological plant sociology of mesophytes.’
- ‘A higher mesophyll resistance in woody plants than in herbs, and in sclerophylls than in mesophytes, has been reported.’
- ‘The values measured lie within the mainstream range for bryophytes of similar habitats and of vascular mesophytes.’
- ‘Interestingly, unlike mesophytes, none of the hydrophytes showed ability to accumulate proline.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.