One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person whose build is compact and muscular.
- ‘A mesomorph drops in on Auckland's Armageddon show.’
- ‘At the core of the mesomorphs training program should be resistance training.’
- ‘If a person is a mesomorph you have to rest them more, and if it's a female mesomorph you have to rest more.’
- ‘A mesomorph is athletic, hourglass-shaped or rectangular-shaped, muscular with excellent posture, gains muscle easily and gains body fat easier than an ectomorph.’
- ‘A Mesomorph has the ability to gain muscle quickly and can lose fat weight when a diet is followed.’
- ‘If you are now starting a fitness programme, it is a good idea for you to know what is your body type - mesomorph, ectomorph, endomorph, or a cross between two types.’
- ‘People are ectomorph, mesomorph, or endomorph.’
- ‘If your thumb and fore-finger overlap, you are an ectomorph; if they touch, you are a mesomorph; and if they do not touch at all, you are an endomorph.’
- ‘They are purposely hidden away at backwater college campuses, where the monstrously large football mesomorphs must cavort under the searing sun, be-helmeted, in all their hot and bulky pads.’
- ‘In fact, if you hardgainers can take any solace in your struggle to bulk up your entire physique, at least your calves aren't a conspicuous weak point like they are for mesomorphs strutting around on ‘peg legs.’’
- ‘A natural mesomorph, Huh weighed 200 pounds before he even picked up a barbell in earnest and his body responded well to weights.’
- ‘Similarly, the current weight control standards seem to be deliberately designed to keep fat-necked, big-bellied blubber balls in the Army while pushing muscular and fit mesomorphs out the door.’
- ‘An endomorph has a soft body, underdeveloped muscles, round physique and hold most of their weight in their middle; weight loss is difficult but the endomorph can build muscle easily like the mesomorph.’
- ‘Improving muscular imbalances is especially important for mesomorph swimmers so they may strengthen weaknesses in swim-specific muscles.’
- ‘I was once a guest at a spa where we could avail ourselves of a ‘wellness expert’ who could customise a person's meals based on whether she was, say, a thyroidal mesomorph or an adrenal ectomorph.’
- ‘The three basic body types are ectomorph, mesomorph and endormorph.’
- ‘‘I'm a mesomorph,’ admits the 150-pound Isaacson.’
- ‘Somatotyping There are three widely accepted physique categories called somatotypes: endomorph, ectomorph and mesomorph.’
- ‘There are many more ectomorphs (naturally thin people) and endomorphs (naturally chubby people) than mesomorphs (naturally muscular people), and it's difficult to overcome genetic limitations.’
- ‘As a hardgainer, you weren't blessed with the genetics of Lee Priest, Tom Prince or any other mesomorph with seemingly self-inflating Popeye appendages.’
1920s: meso- from mesodermal (being the layer of the embryo giving rise to physical characteristics which predominate) + -morph.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.