One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The middle layer of cells or tissues of an embryo, or the parts derived from this (e.g. cartilage, muscles, and bone).
- ‘A similar pair of parachordal cartilages develop posteriorly from mesoderm, flanking the notochord.’
- ‘We have used experimental manipulation of chick embryos to test the causal role of Hox genes in patterning derivatives of the paraxial mesoderm.’
- ‘Crystal cells constitute a class of hemocytes derived from the head mesoderm.’
- ‘By the time segmentation is complete, strong mxp expression is detected in both ectoderm and mesoderm of the maxillary and labial limb buds.’
- ‘The mesoderm also provides the mesenchyme (by sinking of cells from its epithelium into the extracellular matrix) from which organ development becomes possible.’
- ‘The stem cells for hematopoiesis in mammals are derived from mesoderm in the yolk sac blood islands and a region of the aorta.’
- ‘Derived from embryonic mesoderm, mesenchyme is the first connective tissue formed.’
- ‘The stem cell lines also retain the ability, throughout the culture, to differentiate into tissue-derived endoderm, mesoderm and ectoderm.’
- ‘Because neoblasts are likely derived from embryonic stem cells, a stem cell system may be even the original mode of mesoderm formation in the embryo.’
- ‘Structures derived from ectoderm, mesoderm, and endoderm are commonly represented.’
- ‘The most affected tissue being dorsal mesoderm; the notochord is disrupted and the tailbud fails to form.’
- ‘The cells of the visceral mesoderm and dorsal vessel also express both genes.’
- ‘Cells from the ventrolateral dermomyotome migrate away from the midline forming a population of axially derived cells that differentiate within the lateral mesoderm.’
- ‘Teratomas are germ cell tumors composed of various tissue elements representing more than one embryonic layer (ectoderm, mesoderm, and endoderm).’
- ‘Acrochordons, or skin tags, are derived from ectoderm and mesoderm and represent a hyperplastic epidermis.’
- ‘Clearly the establishment of independent Hox codes in the paraxial and lateral plate mesoderm would have significance for both the development and the evolution of vertebrates.’
- ‘Endoderm and mesoderm form from the lower layer of cells.’
- ‘Expression is also detected variously in visceral endoderm, and anterior mesoderm and endoderm of the gut and pharynx in some vertebrates and amphioxus.’
- ‘Teratoma typically contains tissues derived from all 3 germinal layers, whereas dermoid cyst presumably originates from ectoderm and mesoderm.’
- ‘Why is the origin of mesoderm from hypoblast in some groups not regarded as a secondary adaptation?’
Late 19th century: from meso- ‘middle’ + Greek derma ‘skin’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.