One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Relating to or directed towards the middle line of a body.
midway, middle, mid, central, centre, intermediate, equidistant between two pointsView synonyms
- ‘This may be due in part to the fact that the most common pathologic finding of temporal lobe resections involve hippocampal or mesial temporal sclerosis and neoplasia.’
- ‘The distance from the mesial angle to the distal corner on the labial side is 10.4 cm.’
- ‘In lingual view, the mesial surface of the protocone merges gradually with the anterior cingulum.’
- ‘The mesial and distal surfaces are worn to produce a beveled pattern, which contrasts sharply with the flattened and generally bilobed dentition of pampatheres.’
- ‘The tooth plates measure 16 cm from the mesial tip to the distal end.’
- ‘Posteriorly, the mesial lamina of the splenial is firmly sutured onto the anterior end of the prearticular.’
- ‘The most common finding was mesial temporal sclerosis, which is typically not detected on CT.’
- ‘Surgery is most commonly performed for mesial temporal lobe epilepsy, frontal lobe epilepsy, and epilepsy secondary to a lesion.’
- ‘The teeth are only slightly worn; the dentine is exposed on one mesial cusp on the first right and left permanent molars.’
- ‘The findings suggest that damage to the right mesial prefrontal cortex causes abnormal hoarding behavior by releasing the primitive hoarding urge from its normal restraints.’
- ‘The most common type is mesial impaction, which means teeth that have grown at an angle facing towards the front of the mouth.’
- ‘By rolling the labial margins toward the midline, the mesial end of the upper dentition can be narrowed without bringing the plates out of line.’
- ‘Damage to this area - the right mesial prefrontal cortex - apparently causes the near-universal interest in collecting to escalate out of control by releasing the primitive hoarding urge from its normal restraints.’
- ‘Branches of the cingulum curve around outside the trigon on its mesial and distal sides.’
- ‘The anterior outer tritor is situated on a prominence located labially and near the mesial one third of the middle tritor.’
- ‘The molars tend to interlock with their mesial and distal neighbors in ways which become more elaborate and precise in later forms.’
- ‘In nulliparous women, in the upright position, their long axis is vertical; it has lateral and mesial surfaces, tubal and uterine extremities and mesovarian and free borders.’
- ‘The commonest pathology in chronic temporal lobe epilepsy is mesial temporal sclerosis with scarring of the hippocampus.’
- ‘It has been postulated that mesial temporal sclerosis may be related to a complicated delivery, febrile convulsions during childhood, and status epilepticus.’
- ‘The persistence occurs most often with the upper canine and the lower second molar, and less often with the upper lateral and lower mesial incisors.’
Early 19th century: formed irregularly from Greek mesos ‘middle’ + -ial.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.