One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A mad or foolish person.‘they thought he was a meshuggener, and they locked him in his room’
- ‘If you can't recall most of the madness surrounding those murderous meshuggeners, you are not alone.’
- ‘Every time she tries to visit him, though, his jealous stepmother and meshuggener tutor make him fall into a deep sleep.’
- ‘If you see me walking down the street waving my hands around and swaying like a meshuggana, I'm just conducting the orchestra to music I hear in my head.’
- ‘So Shlomo the tomato turned round and shouted at Benjy, ‘You meshuggener, ketch-up.’’
- ‘And say its possible that all of these meshuggeners manage to have lucrative careers with the intelligence services.’
- ‘One thing that bothers me is those meshuggeners at the gaming magazines who have the chutzpah to kvell all over their games, even when they're dreck.’
- ‘So while Crossing Delancey is mellow and ‘nice,’ you're not meshuggener if you come away wondering if it could have offered more beneath its surface.’
- ‘For the overwhelmingly Italian audience phrases such as ‘world-class meshuggana’ probably lost something in translation.’
- ‘The key to understanding the meshuggana, is that he requires an emotional response from those he dislikes.’
- ‘I find it strange that some meshuggener will post a moderate to short reply on the search function when in the same amount of effort they could have answered the question.’
- ‘Some Swedish meshuggeners are presently designing some new meshuggah pages, and have offered med to move my news over to their site eventually.’
- ‘My Jewish friend turned to me incredulously and said, ‘A fine man, but on this he's a meshuggener.’’
- ‘My biggest fear, of course, is swimming slower than the hundreds of other meshuggeners and being left behind, solitary in the open sea and crashing waves.’
- ‘I'm a hayseed for wanting decent beer, and you're a meshuggener.’
Early 20th century (as an adjective): variant of meshuga.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.