- another term for midbrain
- ‘However, at later stages, the specification of the prosencephalon and the mesencephalon remains defective.’
- ‘According to Panksepp, there are primal neural networks in the posterior thalamic, tectal and periaqueductal regions of the mesencephalon that constantly process emotional information.’
- ‘The latter includes the diencephalon; mesencephalon, or midbrain; pons; and medulla oblongata.’
- ‘The GnRH forms not found in the POA are expressed in two other distinct cell groups, one located in the terminal nerve region, the other in the mesencephalon.’
- ‘Continuing in the vocabulary vein, the ‘neuraxis’ is ‘the axial unpaired part of the central nervous system, composed of the spinal cord, rhombencephalon, mesencephalon, and diencephalon.’’
- ‘Ectoderm from the mesencephalon and rhombomere specifically migrates to the mandibular arch primordium, and rhombomere infiltrates the hyoid arch.’
- ‘The neural tube is broad and divides flaccidly into three parts: an anterior prosencephalon, a middle mesencephalon, and a posterior rhombencephalon.’
- ‘Stimuli are thought to pass along the intercostal nerves to the posterior column of the spinal cord, to the mesencephalon, and finally to the hypothalamus, where the secretion of prolactin inhibitory factor is reduced.’
Mid 19th century: from Greek mesos middle + encephalon.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.