One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The abstract study of the relations between parts and wholes.
- ‘Again, I don't see any issues internal to mathematics that could be affected by mereology in its philosophical sense.’
- ‘The structure can be described using mereology and how about topological relation of the structure.’
- ‘I think that there is work in mereology (the study if identity and the relationship between parts and wholes) that deals with the ‘calculus of individuals’ n terms of things called ‘fusions.’’
- ‘In addition to the topics discussed, Brentano made important contributions to metaphysics, especially on the relation of substance and accidents, and concerning mereology.’
- ‘This study tries to connect a phenomenologically motivated system of formal mereology with linguistics.’
1940s: from French, formed irregularly from Greek meros ‘part’ + -logy.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.