Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An electric switch in which the circuit is made by mercury flowing into a gap when the device tilts.
- ‘If the pitcher is tilted more than 90 degrees, a mercury tilt switch triggers an infrared emitter to emit a pulse at the correct frequency.’
- ‘Perhaps the most common of these switches is the mercury tilt switch which uses a globule of mercury in a sealed vial to conductively bridge two contacts.’
- ‘Years ago I bought a bunch of mercury tilt switches and installed them into the handle of a joystick.’
- ‘They insisted that it was fitted outside the MP's flat in Westminster Gardens, but only exploded hours later because its detonation was controlled by a combination of a timer and a mercury tilt switch.’
- ‘Because of mercury's fluid properties, mercury tilt switches are used in many vehicles to turn on the lighting assemblies as trunk and hood doors are opened.’
- ‘To reduce our contribution of mercury to the environment, avoid purchasing mercury-added products such as fever thermometers, thermostats and mercury tilt switches.’
- ‘The term includes mercury float switches actuated by rising or falling liquid levels, mercury tilt switches actuated by a change in the switch position, mercury pressure switches actuated by a change in pressure, mercury temperature switches actuated by a change in temperature, and mercury flame sensors.’
- ‘Tiny tilt switch type BT411-2 has a built in rolling ball (instead of mercury) so it doesn't have the environmental health hazards that mercury tilt switches have.’
- ‘No power is required for operation and, unlike other types and brands, the Models TC3X and TC1 do not use mercury tilt switches for actuation.’
- ‘Purchase septic tank and sump pumps that contain magnetic dry reed switches, optic sensors or mechanical switches instead of mercury tilt switches;’
- ‘Representative of the prior art are the mercury tilt switches disclosed in U.S. Patents.’
- ‘A mercury tilt switch, for example, can have anywhere from 50 milligrams to nearly 5 grams of mercury, while an individual float switch may contain anywhere from 100 milligrams to 67 grams of mercury.’
- ‘About 3 grams of mercury is in each mercury tilt switch, and thermostats commonly require 2-6 mercury tilt switches each.’
- ‘All that is required is a mercury tilt switch worn on a headband, which is attached to a quarter inch phone plug at the other end of a 5 or 6 foot wire.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.