Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An electric switch in which the circuit is made by mercury flowing into a gap when the device tilts.
- ‘The term includes mercury float switches actuated by rising or falling liquid levels, mercury tilt switches actuated by a change in the switch position, mercury pressure switches actuated by a change in pressure, mercury temperature switches actuated by a change in temperature, and mercury flame sensors.’
- ‘They insisted that it was fitted outside the MP's flat in Westminster Gardens, but only exploded hours later because its detonation was controlled by a combination of a timer and a mercury tilt switch.’
- ‘Representative of the prior art are the mercury tilt switches disclosed in U.S. Patents.’
- ‘All that is required is a mercury tilt switch worn on a headband, which is attached to a quarter inch phone plug at the other end of a 5 or 6 foot wire.’
- ‘No power is required for operation and, unlike other types and brands, the Models TC3X and TC1 do not use mercury tilt switches for actuation.’
- ‘Perhaps the most common of these switches is the mercury tilt switch which uses a globule of mercury in a sealed vial to conductively bridge two contacts.’
- ‘If the pitcher is tilted more than 90 degrees, a mercury tilt switch triggers an infrared emitter to emit a pulse at the correct frequency.’
- ‘Purchase septic tank and sump pumps that contain magnetic dry reed switches, optic sensors or mechanical switches instead of mercury tilt switches;’
- ‘Tiny tilt switch type BT411-2 has a built in rolling ball (instead of mercury) so it doesn't have the environmental health hazards that mercury tilt switches have.’
- ‘Years ago I bought a bunch of mercury tilt switches and installed them into the handle of a joystick.’
- ‘To reduce our contribution of mercury to the environment, avoid purchasing mercury-added products such as fever thermometers, thermostats and mercury tilt switches.’
- ‘About 3 grams of mercury is in each mercury tilt switch, and thermostats commonly require 2-6 mercury tilt switches each.’
- ‘Because of mercury's fluid properties, mercury tilt switches are used in many vehicles to turn on the lighting assemblies as trunk and hood doors are opened.’
- ‘A mercury tilt switch, for example, can have anywhere from 50 milligrams to nearly 5 grams of mercury, while an individual float switch may contain anywhere from 100 milligrams to 67 grams of mercury.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.