Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A country's commercial shipping, as opposed to that involved in military activity.
- ‘In 1918 he joined the merchant navy, then did military service before returning to Paris in 1922.’
- ‘He was a scout messenger during the war and then spent 15 years in the merchant navy.’
- ‘He served in the merchant navy and later the Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve.’
- ‘Ninety per cent of the merchant navy had to be handed over, along with 10 per cent of the cattle and a substantial proportion of the rolling stock of the state railway.’
- ‘For several years Pádraig served as a radio officer on board many ships of the merchant navy.’
- ‘He became a steward in the merchant navy, and was a trade union activist.’
- ‘A musical career proved fruitless, however, and he joined the merchant navy and later, legend has it, became a pirate.’
- ‘On finishing school he joined the merchant navy.’
- ‘I was in bad situations during the seven years of the war and seven years in the merchant navy after that.’
- ‘Then he left school, an unqualified bully, and joined the merchant navy.’
- ‘Frankie thinks his dad doesn't see them because he's away at sea with the merchant navy.’
- ‘Their father, who was in the merchant navy, died in May after undergoing a heart operation at the age of 54.’
- ‘The happy couple met while they were both in the merchant navy in 1948, but only starting going out together a decade ago.’
- ‘In her old age the Cutty Sark became a merchant navy training ship.’
- ‘My father may have been in the merchant navy, but that doesn't mean there's salt water coursing through my veins.’
- ‘Vance seemed to have had it relatively easy, helped by a former job in the catering division of the merchant navy.’
- ‘The law was originally designed to protect the merchant navy from financial ruin during wartime.’
- ‘Otley-born Roy left school at 14, joined the merchant navy at 15 and by the time he was 18 had made eight Atlantic crossings.’
- ‘Prime Minister Curtin emphasized Australia's need for an adequate merchant navy and shipbuilding and repair facilities.’
- ‘A graduate with a degree in Marine Engineering can apply for direct recruitment with a merchant navy shipping firm in the engineering department’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.