Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Treat (cotton fabric or thread) under tension with caustic alkali to impart strength and lustre.‘shorts in white mercerized cotton’
- ‘Even the fabric used is the traditional mercerised cotton.’
- ‘It's the new fabrics and finishes that will attract the buzz, like mercerized jacquards and pima cotton and pima blended knits, but the good old collar and placket knit polo will march on.’
- ‘It was a superbly tailored shirt and looked ringspun and mercerized.’
- ‘My polo selection was embroidered with a tape customized for the mercerized fabric and looked spectacular.’
- ‘Pochampalli sarees in mercerised cotton, silk sarees in semi katan, pure katan and in warf and weft creations look elegant.’
- ‘For golf shirts, Weatherproof is adding a category of micro pima golf shirts to its 2003 offering of 60s two-ply double mercerized golf shirts.’
- ‘I'm hoping the yarn is good… it's a mercerized cotton from the Netherlands that can machine washed and dried.’
- ‘Albany is a lovely mercerised ribbon yarn from Jaeger.’
- ‘This company makes a high-end line of wovens, with an emphasis on dress shirts, as well as mercerized knits.’
- ‘Our Arnold Palmer mercerized shirts are moderately priced.’
- ‘The company can produce any fabric, ranging from polynosic, dri-wick fabrics and silk to mercerized cotton and dye the fabric any color the client chooses.’
- ‘Klouda says Page & Tuttle has introduced more in the way of luxury fabrics to the golf market lately - namely double mercerized cottons, pima cottons and expanded moisture-management options.’
- ‘For men there is a solid-color 100 percent cotton pique available in 19 colors, and a mercerized solid-color 100 percent cotton pique in four colors, both in sizes S through 3XL.’
- ‘‘The best place to make mercerized fabrics is still Italy, but they are very expensive,’ says Kwok.’
- ‘Designed to be strikingly contemporary, and yet timeless, this collection of shirts is crafted from fine 100 per cent two-ply mercerised cotton, with multiple textures to create an enchanting mosaic effect.’
- ‘Made of 60s 2-ply mercerized 100% cotton jersey with subtle variegated stripe pattern.’
- ‘From double mercerized golf shirts in elegant tonal patterns to luxurious Tencel/cotton twills, this collection allows those in sizes up to 6XL and 6XL TALL a chance to get a real selection in this higher-caliber product.’
- ‘Examples of tablet-woven braids: including a tie-dyed woollen braid, left, two braids in No 8 mercerised cotton, and a double faced technique in very fine cotton.’
- ‘T-shirts have progressed a lot, for they're now knitted from 100 percent cotton and cotton blends, which are compacted and mercerised for real, cool softness.’
- ‘A mercerised cotton that I bought from Binns in Darlington, on the recommendation of the knowledgeable Rowan consultant, Chris.’
Mid 19th century: from the name of John Mercer (died 1866), said to have invented the process, + -ize.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.