One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Of or involving measuring.‘mensural investigations’
- ‘We measured the asymmetry of five mensural and seven meristic characters of 175 collared lizards from north-central Oklahoma.’
- ‘The method of investigation was substantially as follows: Tables of the minimum, maximum and average of the four mensural characters of a bird were selected for investigation, namely, length of wing, of tail, of tarsus, and of bill.’
- 1.1Music Denoting or relating to music in a definite metre.‘mensural notation’
- ‘Table 1 shows the time signatures commonly found in Western mensural music since about 1700.’
- ‘A Josquin mensural canon highlighted the unusual nature of this group's repertoire and rounded off their stimulating recital with fresh imagination.’
- ‘In Mensural Notation, several notes can be combined together to form ligatures.’
Late 16th century: from Latin mensuralis, from mensura ‘measure’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.