One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of a woman) discharge blood and other material from the lining of the uterus as part of the menstrual cycle.‘she had begun to menstruate’‘a menstruating woman’
- ‘Women who start menstruating early in life or who have a late menopause have an increased risk of developing breast cancer.’
- ‘Other studies have shown that women undertaking extreme exercise regimens had ceased ovulating and menstruating.’
- ‘But considering how much time we spend on that time of the month - from puberty to menopause, the average woman menstruates almost seven whole years - many of us know surprisingly little about it.’
- ‘Some women stop menstruating as early as their late 30s.’
- ‘Women menstruate for an average of 40 years of their lives.’
Mid 17th century: from late Latin menstruat- ‘menstruated’, from the verb menstruare, from Latin menstrua ‘menses’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.