Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(of a woman) discharge blood and other material from the lining of the uterus as part of the menstrual cycle.‘she had begun to menstruate’‘a menstruating woman’
- ‘Women who start menstruating early in life or who have a late menopause have an increased risk of developing breast cancer.’
- ‘Some women stop menstruating as early as their late 30s.’
- ‘Women menstruate for an average of 40 years of their lives.’
- ‘Other studies have shown that women undertaking extreme exercise regimens had ceased ovulating and menstruating.’
- ‘But considering how much time we spend on that time of the month - from puberty to menopause, the average woman menstruates almost seven whole years - many of us know surprisingly little about it.’
Mid 17th century: from late Latin menstruat- menstruated, from the verb menstruare, from Latin menstrua menses.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.