One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Blood and other matter discharged from the uterus at menstruation.
- ‘The typical bleeding profile with the new intrauterine system is irregular bleeding or spotting for the first six months of use, followed by very light menses, with 20 percent of women having amenorrhea at one year of use.’
- ‘We collected data on age at and type of menopause (spontaneous or artificial); menopause was defined as the cessation of menses for at least one year.’
- ‘In the recent past, she had experienced heavy menses with passage of clots, and she had occasionally required transfusion.’
- ‘Usually what happens in migraine sufferers, as the estrogen levels fall off, and the menses begin, there's a tendency to develop headache.’
- ‘Her periods are short, her menses scant, and before each menstruation she experiences low back pain.’
- 1.1treated as singular The time of menstruation.‘a late menses’
- ‘Current clinical guidelines about a woman's potentially fertile days have been based on two assumptions that ovulation occurs 14 days before the next menses and that women are fertile for several days before and after ovulation.’
- ‘Also, the separately built bisi (menstruating and birthing hut) is where women go during monthly menses and during childbirth.’
- ‘Yet not only did my body crave the practice of yoga more strongly during my monthly menses than any other time, but both my psychic and physical powers were enhanced and more clearly available then as well.’
- ‘Among women with more regular menses, many have variable degrees of ovulatory dysfunction.’
- ‘It is used to treat delayed menses and congested blood (especially in the lower pelvic cavity) and abdominal pains.’
- ‘Bronchoscopic examination performed within 1 day or 2 days of menses disclosed multiple purplish-red submucosal patches bilaterally that bled easily when touched.’
- ‘Serum progesterone levels were obtained six, eight and 10 days after the expected day of ovulation, which was defined as 14 days before expected menses.’
- ‘Dong quai is a Chinese herbal supplement touted for treatment of menstrual cramping, irregular menses, and menopausal symptoms.’
- ‘The pain is typically worse with menses but can be present at any time during the menstrual cycle.’
- ‘Premenstrual syndrome is a troublesome condition that is experienced by some women and occurs most commonly in the period of time just before menses.’
- ‘Most commonly, breast pain is associated with the menstrual cycle (cyclic mastalgia) and is most severe before the menses.’
- ‘The use of antiprostaglandins or NSAIDS should begin on the first day of the menstrual cycle and continue to the third day of menses.’
- ‘Dysmenorrhea often precedes menses and lasts throughout the period.’
- ‘The main causes of infertility in females are irregular periods and menses at prolonged intervals which may lead to decreased egg formation and ovulation.’
- ‘Those women who perceive their cyclicity as irregular may then view menstruation as a more serious event and experience greater difficulty in preparing psychologically or hygienically for the onset of their menses.’
- ‘By comparison, the estrogen levels at the start of menses in the women who tore the ACL during the ovulatory or luteal phases were significantly lower.’
- ‘Following insertion of either device, a follow-up appointment should be planned after the next menses to address any concerns or adverse effects, ensure the absence of infection, and check the presence of the strings.’
- ‘They were also asked to start recording the dates of the beginning and end of their menses during the entire school year on menstrual calendars we supplied to them.’
- ‘The authors reported the body mass index and onset age of menses for the participants, but no other demographics were noted.’
- ‘Obesity is likely to facilitate the metabolic abnormalities of PCOS, as evidenced by the reduction in insulin resistance and restoration of cyclic menses following weight loss.’
Late 16th century: from Latin, plural of mensis ‘month’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.