One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1The ceasing of menstruation.
- ‘In women after the menopause, the lack of oestrogen can lead to a weakening of the muscles associated with the bladder and the urethral sphincter.’
- ‘Smoking can cause infertility and an early menopause in women, and sperm problems in men.’
- ‘After menopause, the ovaries produce lower levels of the hormones estrogen and progesterone.’
- ‘Loss of muscle increases six-fold at the time of the menopause so it may have a connection with estrogen.’
- ‘Menstrual cycles can occur without ovulation taking place as the menopause approaches.’
- 1.1 The period in a woman's life (typically between the ages of 45 and 50) when menstruation ceases.
- ‘Every woman who has periods will go through the menopause at some time in her life, usually between the ages of 42 and 58.’
- ‘The hot flushes and the night sweats have been worse than when I was just through the natural menopause.’
- ‘I wondered if I was starting the menopause, but decided that I was too young.’
- ‘Smokers and childless women are known to go through the menopause at a younger age than other women.’
- ‘Some view the menopause as a significant stage in ageing.’
Late 19th century: from modern Latin menopausis (see meno-, pause).
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.