One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A member of a North American people of north-eastern Wisconsin.
- ‘Several garden bed sites are linked by historic records to specific identifiable groups, including the Menominee, Mesquakie / Fox, Chippewa, and Potawatomi.’
- ‘I do have friends who are American Indians representing many tribes - - Anishinabe, Seneca, Cherokee, Cayuga, Diné, Menominee, Ojibwe, Apache, Onondaga, Pima, Pequot.’
- ‘The beginning emphasizes the pre-Columbian presence of multiple and complex cultures by referring to the creation stories of the Toltecs, the Aztecs, the Menomini, and many others.’
- ‘Like other tribes in this group-the Menominee in Wisconsin and Klamath in Oregon-the Salish and Kootenai tribes enjoyed growing and seemingly sustainable economic development.’
- ‘In 1822, Chief Shenandoah of the Oneidas purchased rights from the Menominee in the Wisconsin Territory to settle on their lands.’
2mass noun The extinct Algonquian language of the Menominee.
- ‘"One video will have both audio and subtitles in Menominee, for advanced learners, and one will have subtitles in English, for beginners," Macaulay says.’
- ‘Although the disparities between English and Menominee make translations and learning difficult, the contrasts fascinate Macaulay.’
Relating to or denoting the Menominee or their language.
- ‘In 1827 another treaty set the boundary between Ojibwa and Menominee land.’
- ‘Informally, we know that both groups regard trout as desirable and that Menominee fishermen tend to regard them as somewhat more desirable than do majority-culture fishermen.’
- ‘‘One of the striking results in our developmental studies is that 5-year-old Menominee kids seem to use ecological reasoning strategies,’ he explains.’
- ‘Finally, I thank Erin Damon of the Milwaukee Public Museum, who provided catalog information and photographs of the wooden Menominee bear carving.’
- ‘One of the reported Menominee garden bed sites is dated to ca. 1831, while a mixed Chippewa-Menominee-Potawatomi site has been dated to ca. 1854.’
From Ojibwa manōminī, literally ‘wild-rice person’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.