One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1The curved upper surface of a liquid in a tube.
- ‘It is based on the analysis of light reflection at a fluid meniscus whose radius of curvature is related to its surface tension.’
- ‘I recall spending lengthy moments reading the meniscus on a thermometer to determine the precise temperature reading in an experiment.’
- ‘Another coverslip was placed inside the cylinder floating on top of the liquid layer, in order to obtain a flat meniscus.’
- ‘The curve of the meniscus between the fluids can be altered with currents sent through the tube, which changes the focus of the lens.’
- ‘When the water column is cut, the pressure of the water column is increased to atmospheric pressure when the meniscus is flat.’
- 1.1usually as modifier A lens that is convex on one side and concave on the other.‘a meniscus lens’
- ‘Invented in 1876, the Mangin mirror consists of a meniscus negative lens with a mirrored convex second surface.’
- ‘It's the same with lenses; in addition, the self-centering problem is even more pronounced for meniscus shapes and other optics with long focal lengths.’
- ‘Petzval produced an achromatic portrait lens that was vastly superior to the simple meniscus lens then in use.’
- 1.2Anatomy A thin fibrous cartilage between the surfaces of some joints, e.g. the knee.
- ‘DeSagana Diop had surgery yesterday to repair a torn meniscus and will be out four to six weeks.’
- ‘Within a week of having 85 per cent of his meniscus removed, he was running, and three days later he was back playing for the Swans.’
- ‘In some cases, there may not be a specific injury, but the meniscus can tear due to repetitive loads and chronic degeneration.’
- ‘In January 1992, arthrography was done of the left knee, which showed according to Dr. Bernard Parent no sign of any tearing of the meniscus.’
- ‘He had a torn meniscus, which is the same thing, it's a torn muscle.’
Late 17th century: modern Latin, from Greek mēniskos ‘crescent’, diminutive of mēnē ‘moon’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.