One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in the US) a day on which those who died on active service are remembered, usually the last Monday in May.
- ‘Today, he was remembered during a Memorial Day gathering of family and friends in Texas.’
- ‘The men in my community and in others would place flags at the grave sites of veterans on Memorial Day and Veterans Day.’
- ‘Over Memorial Day weekend we gathered for our first and, I suspect, only reunion.’
- ‘The UK and US markets are closed on Monday for the Spring Bank Holiday and Memorial Day respectively.’
- ‘Well, the Memorial Day weekend driving season is on us, and high gas prices are a factor.’
- ‘This Memorial Day weekend, I suggest a visit to a truly sacred and, indeed, holy place.’
- ‘Friday is expected to be busiest of the Memorial Day weekend at both airports.’
- ‘The Senate will join the fray as it plans to debate the issue before the Memorial Day break.’
- ‘Sam found himself thinking about his grandfather's death over the Memorial Day weekend.’
- ‘On Memorial Day this year we will dedicate a new national memorial to Americans who served in World War II.’
- ‘Sure, Memorial Day is a day of barbecues and pool openings to some people.’
- ‘Folks in the U.S. will have already had their Memorial Day weekend.’
- ‘A Memorial Day weekend powwow is held by the Devil's Lake Sioux at Fort Totten, North Dakota.’
- ‘The Senate will vote on the bill soon after 7 June, when it returns from the Memorial Day holiday.’
- ‘So amidst the triumph, I saw yesterday as a Memorial Day, of a sort, for those many who fell to make it possible.’
- ‘Today has been the day when America celebrates Memorial Day.’
- ‘From the first Memorial Day in 1868, the day set aside to honour our war dead has become a national holiday.’
- ‘The original proclamation of a Memorial Day in 1868 was of course occasioned by the Civil War.’
- ‘This weekend marks Memorial Day in the U.S. and the official beginning of summer leisure.’
- ‘Trading was light Friday as many traders were absent ahead of the long Memorial Day weekend.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.