One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in the US) a day on which those who died on active service are remembered, usually the last Monday in May.
- ‘The original proclamation of a Memorial Day in 1868 was of course occasioned by the Civil War.’
- ‘So amidst the triumph, I saw yesterday as a Memorial Day, of a sort, for those many who fell to make it possible.’
- ‘Friday is expected to be busiest of the Memorial Day weekend at both airports.’
- ‘Sam found himself thinking about his grandfather's death over the Memorial Day weekend.’
- ‘Today, he was remembered during a Memorial Day gathering of family and friends in Texas.’
- ‘From the first Memorial Day in 1868, the day set aside to honour our war dead has become a national holiday.’
- ‘A Memorial Day weekend powwow is held by the Devil's Lake Sioux at Fort Totten, North Dakota.’
- ‘The men in my community and in others would place flags at the grave sites of veterans on Memorial Day and Veterans Day.’
- ‘The Senate will join the fray as it plans to debate the issue before the Memorial Day break.’
- ‘Well, the Memorial Day weekend driving season is on us, and high gas prices are a factor.’
- ‘On Memorial Day this year we will dedicate a new national memorial to Americans who served in World War II.’
- ‘This Memorial Day weekend, I suggest a visit to a truly sacred and, indeed, holy place.’
- ‘Over Memorial Day weekend we gathered for our first and, I suspect, only reunion.’
- ‘Trading was light Friday as many traders were absent ahead of the long Memorial Day weekend.’
- ‘Sure, Memorial Day is a day of barbecues and pool openings to some people.’
- ‘The UK and US markets are closed on Monday for the Spring Bank Holiday and Memorial Day respectively.’
- ‘Today has been the day when America celebrates Memorial Day.’
- ‘This weekend marks Memorial Day in the U.S. and the official beginning of summer leisure.’
- ‘Folks in the U.S. will have already had their Memorial Day weekend.’
- ‘The Senate will vote on the bill soon after 7 June, when it returns from the Memorial Day holiday.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.