Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An instrument in which the sound is produced by a stretched membrane, such as a drum.
- ‘Drums are examples of membranophones, and cultures from all over the world have created different types of drums.’
- ‘The only common membranophones with definite pitch are kettledrums (timpani).’
- ‘But you can also sub-divide the membranophones in a different way; by considering their physical construction.’
- ‘It is not a membranophone like other drums because it does not have anything stretched over it, like a skin or paper.’
- ‘These large circular membranophones, however, are not the only percussion instrument found among the cultures in the Arctic Circle.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.