One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘Bach writes the subject in one huge, melismatic (many notes per syllable) arc, and you're not supposed to break the line by gulping in air.’
- ‘The initial phrase seems influenced by Greek melismatic singing with a wonderful wide vibrato on ‘you ‘and ‘much’.’
- ‘There is an element of improvisation in this music, melodic decoration, what we call melismatic playing, but the actual tune and structure and rhythm for each tune remains absolutely the same.’
- ‘The musical style of these songs varies from simple, syllabic melodies to elaborately flowing compositions modelled on melismatic plainchant.’
- ‘The swooping and soaring melody, very Eastern in its melismatic cut, is punctuated and embellished by the other three string instruments and by the piano.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.