One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A large pool of applicants, especially for a job or contract.‘the state-wide by-election attracted a Melbourne Cup field’
- ‘It is an utterly pointless exercise to carry on about the primary vote, especially when you have a Melbourne cup field in a mid-term by election.’
- ‘With a Melbourne Cup field running in the election, it will be difficult for him to get back in.’
- ‘Party sources said a "Melbourne Cup field" was likely when pre-selection nominations were called.’
- ‘You're right that the minor parties will not do as well because of the Melbourne Cup field.’
- ‘There's a Melbourne Cup field of incompetence to choose from.’
- ‘To many they are cannon fodder sprinkled through the group phase of World Cups that drag on for weeks before a veritable Melbourne Cup field is trimmed to a familiar few.’
- ‘A Melbourne Cup field of prospective captains keep publicly announcing they would be wonderful national skippers.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.