One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A large pool of applicants, especially for a job or contract.‘the state-wide by-election attracted a Melbourne Cup field’
- ‘A Melbourne Cup field of prospective captains keep publicly announcing they would be wonderful national skippers.’
- ‘Party sources said a "Melbourne Cup field" was likely when pre-selection nominations were called.’
- ‘With a Melbourne Cup field running in the election, it will be difficult for him to get back in.’
- ‘It is an utterly pointless exercise to carry on about the primary vote, especially when you have a Melbourne cup field in a mid-term by election.’
- ‘To many they are cannon fodder sprinkled through the group phase of World Cups that drag on for weeks before a veritable Melbourne Cup field is trimmed to a familiar few.’
- ‘You're right that the minor parties will not do as well because of the Melbourne Cup field.’
- ‘There's a Melbourne Cup field of incompetence to choose from.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.