One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Darkening of body tissues caused by excessive production of melanin, especially as a form of colour variation in animals.
- ‘However, melanism and amelanism are known to occur in many species of natricine snakes.’
- ‘Albinism does occur in some populations, but there are no published records of melanism (black fur) in lions.’
- ‘That pattern of morphological convergence includes larger bills, reduced rust coloration in plumage, and increased melanism or dark coloration.’
- ‘Adaptations to short, cool summers include activity at low temperatures, selection of warm habitats and microhabitats, melanism and hairiness coupled with basking behaviour, and prolonged or abbreviated life cycles.’
- ‘The work of Burtt and colleagues provides a nice complement to recent work on the genetic basis of melanism in birds.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.