One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Darkening of body tissues caused by excessive production of melanin, especially as a form of colour variation in animals.
- ‘Adaptations to short, cool summers include activity at low temperatures, selection of warm habitats and microhabitats, melanism and hairiness coupled with basking behaviour, and prolonged or abbreviated life cycles.’
- ‘Albinism does occur in some populations, but there are no published records of melanism (black fur) in lions.’
- ‘However, melanism and amelanism are known to occur in many species of natricine snakes.’
- ‘The work of Burtt and colleagues provides a nice complement to recent work on the genetic basis of melanism in birds.’
- ‘That pattern of morphological convergence includes larger bills, reduced rust coloration in plumage, and increased melanism or dark coloration.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.