Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Darkening of body tissues caused by excessive production of melanin, especially as a form of colour variation in animals.
- ‘That pattern of morphological convergence includes larger bills, reduced rust coloration in plumage, and increased melanism or dark coloration.’
- ‘The work of Burtt and colleagues provides a nice complement to recent work on the genetic basis of melanism in birds.’
- ‘Albinism does occur in some populations, but there are no published records of melanism (black fur) in lions.’
- ‘Adaptations to short, cool summers include activity at low temperatures, selection of warm habitats and microhabitats, melanism and hairiness coupled with basking behaviour, and prolonged or abbreviated life cycles.’
- ‘However, melanism and amelanism are known to occur in many species of natricine snakes.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.