One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A fair or Hindu festival.
- ‘Every year, they have a mela (a fair) there called Suarastra Sabha for the express purpose of holding an auction.’
- ‘Once a year a huge tribal fair takes place near here - the Baneshwar mela.’
- ‘They assemble at the festival and offer their homage by performing in the mela.’
- ‘Though the mela is an annual event, the one in progress this year is unique for astrological reasons and occurs only once every 34 years.’
- ‘It's the season of festivals, trade fairs, exhibitions and melas of every kind as people turn out in large numbers to beat the heat.’
From Sanskrit melā ‘assembly’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.