Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Relating to or denoting large sebaceous glands of the human eyelid, whose infection results in inflammation and swelling.‘meibomian cysts’
- ‘A chalazion is a chronic granulomatous inflammation in the meibomian gland.’
- ‘A meibomian cyst is an enlargement of the glands that lie within the eyelid and which secrete lipids.’
- ‘The most effective treatment for meibomian cysts is to bathe them with warm compresses about four or five times a day.’
- ‘The oil layer is secreted by 16 to 20 glands in the eyelids called the meibomian glands.’
- ‘We speculated that pigmentation of the meibomian glands in this patient was due to obstructive dysfunction of the meibomian glands as well as to the use of liquid eyeliner.’
Early 19th century: from the name of Heinrich Meibom (1638–1700), German anatomist, + -ian.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.