One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Relating to or denoting large sebaceous glands of the human eyelid, whose infection results in inflammation and swelling.‘meibomian cysts’
- ‘A chalazion is a chronic granulomatous inflammation in the meibomian gland.’
- ‘A meibomian cyst is an enlargement of the glands that lie within the eyelid and which secrete lipids.’
- ‘We speculated that pigmentation of the meibomian glands in this patient was due to obstructive dysfunction of the meibomian glands as well as to the use of liquid eyeliner.’
- ‘The oil layer is secreted by 16 to 20 glands in the eyelids called the meibomian glands.’
- ‘The most effective treatment for meibomian cysts is to bathe them with warm compresses about four or five times a day.’
Early 19th century: from the name of Heinrich Meibom (1638–1700), German anatomist, + -ian.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.