One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A unit of power equal to one million watts, especially as a measure of the output of a power station.
- ‘In addition to the smelter and associated carbon and casting facilities, an 800 megawatt gas-fired power station also would be built at the same site.’
- ‘The Scout Moor plan would generate 65 megawatts of electricity, enough to power 60 per cent of households in Rochdale.’
- ‘Since then, energy prices have skyrocketed: a megawatt of power that cost $30 in December 1999 is worth $1500 today.’
- ‘We have only 4,000 megawatts of electric power available in the entire country.’
- ‘It is said that wind power can't work because wind turbines produce only half a megawatt or one megawatt, and what we need is a 200 megawatt power station.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.