One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The larger of the two kinds of spores produced by some ferns.Compare with microspore
- ‘They have male spores called microspores and female spores called megaspores.’
- ‘Microfossil assemblages from rare black and grey clays in this succession contain only a variety of seeds, Microcarpolithes hexagonalis and megaspores, and there are neither foraminifera nor other marine microfossils.’
- ‘Meiosis results in the production of four megaspores, containing half the number of chromosomes of the sporophyte.’
- ‘Both of these genera are heterosporous, meaning that each species produces two distinctly different types of spores: microspores and megaspores.’
- ‘Their heterosporous life cycle (including both megaspores and microspores) is likely to be an adaptation to their aquatic habit.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.