Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The larger of the two kinds of spores produced by some ferns.Compare with microspore
- ‘Meiosis results in the production of four megaspores, containing half the number of chromosomes of the sporophyte.’
- ‘Microfossil assemblages from rare black and grey clays in this succession contain only a variety of seeds, Microcarpolithes hexagonalis and megaspores, and there are neither foraminifera nor other marine microfossils.’
- ‘They have male spores called microspores and female spores called megaspores.’
- ‘Their heterosporous life cycle (including both megaspores and microspores) is likely to be an adaptation to their aquatic habit.’
- ‘Both of these genera are heterosporous, meaning that each species produces two distinctly different types of spores: microspores and megaspores.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.