One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The larger of the two kinds of spores produced by some ferns.Compare with microspore
- ‘Both of these genera are heterosporous, meaning that each species produces two distinctly different types of spores: microspores and megaspores.’
- ‘Microfossil assemblages from rare black and grey clays in this succession contain only a variety of seeds, Microcarpolithes hexagonalis and megaspores, and there are neither foraminifera nor other marine microfossils.’
- ‘Their heterosporous life cycle (including both megaspores and microspores) is likely to be an adaptation to their aquatic habit.’
- ‘Meiosis results in the production of four megaspores, containing half the number of chromosomes of the sporophyte.’
- ‘They have male spores called microspores and female spores called megaspores.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.