Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The larger of the two kinds of spores produced by some ferns.Compare with microspore
- ‘Both of these genera are heterosporous, meaning that each species produces two distinctly different types of spores: microspores and megaspores.’
- ‘Meiosis results in the production of four megaspores, containing half the number of chromosomes of the sporophyte.’
- ‘They have male spores called microspores and female spores called megaspores.’
- ‘Their heterosporous life cycle (including both megaspores and microspores) is likely to be an adaptation to their aquatic habit.’
- ‘Microfossil assemblages from rare black and grey clays in this succession contain only a variety of seeds, Microcarpolithes hexagonalis and megaspores, and there are neither foraminifera nor other marine microfossils.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.