Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A very large-scale commercial dairy farm, typically housing thousands of cows in indoor facilities.‘a megadairy with 93,000 acres of land and 16,000 dairy cows’
- ‘They are still purchasing milk from a growing number of mega-dairies.’
- ‘His presentation centered on the history of dairying, from a single cow tied to the fence to the megadairies of today.’
- ‘In recent years, the environmental impact of megadairies on the San Joaquin Valley, with some of the country's worst air quality, has led to lawsuits and a push for tougher regulations.’
- ‘If this is the only mega-dairy, it will be no big deal. If this is the start of a trend, don't figure on being in the dairy business forever unless you can milk 4000-8000 cows.’
- ‘In the past decade they have seen the megadairies crop up in Florida, California, and the Southwest.’
- ‘He is currently lobbying for another new megadairy that will use a twenty-six-acre lagoon and house approximately 7,000 dairy cattle.’
- ‘A megadairy planned in Madison County would produce about 140,000 tons of liquid manure each year.’
- ‘Even though the family farm is fast disappearing as mega dairies take over, the cow is still queen of the Wisconsin landscape.’
- ‘Leading supermarkets are to blacklist milk from a proposed megadairy.’
- ‘Plans to build the world's biggest megadairy near Aston Clinton have finally been given the green light.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.