One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A church with an unusually large congregation, typically one preaching a conservative or evangelical form of Christianity.
- ‘I think a lot of the controversy comes from people just wanting to pick on megachurches.’
- ‘They were however, rarely wealthy, in contrast to the megachurches of today.’
- ‘Tonight, we will hear from the former volunteer at Haggard megachurch.’
- ‘In the northern Dallas suburb of Prosper, a new mega-church has just opened.’
- ‘Yet enough evangelicals to fill a couple of hundred megachurches have read them.’
- ‘The new face of American evangelicalism is not confined to the mega-churches.’
- ‘Sixty percent of megachurches always or often have altar calls in their services.’
- ‘The pictures of the evangelical megachurches remind me of Las Vegas gambling palaces.’
- ‘Ninety-five percent of megachurches have a weekly Sunday school program.’
- ‘An Episcopalian, Miller is an outsider to the megachurch movement.’
- ‘Contrary to popular opinion, not all evangelicals attend mega-churches.’
- ‘They were really making fun of the people in the churches, in the tents, in the megachurches.’
- ‘The number of Protestant megachurches has risen from just 50 in 1980 to nearly 900 now.’
- ‘I want to put our rural congregations up against the megachurch.’
- ‘Nothing came to symbolise the power of the evangelical movement more than the rise of mega-churches, especially in staunchly Republican areas.’
- ‘Water rises past the windows of a mega-church, where thousands of members worshiped.’
- ‘In Dallas, a thousand people is not a megachurch.’
- ‘Combining a couple of local megachurches would exceed the entire diocese membership of about 37,000.’
- ‘The rapid growth of megachurches on the United States landscape shows very little sign of diminishing.’
- ‘The average total annual income of the megachurches in the study for 1999 was 4.8 million dollars.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.