One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A church with an unusually large congregation, typically one preaching a conservative or evangelical form of Christianity.
- ‘In Dallas, a thousand people is not a megachurch.’
- ‘The average total annual income of the megachurches in the study for 1999 was 4.8 million dollars.’
- ‘The new face of American evangelicalism is not confined to the mega-churches.’
- ‘The rapid growth of megachurches on the United States landscape shows very little sign of diminishing.’
- ‘Nothing came to symbolise the power of the evangelical movement more than the rise of mega-churches, especially in staunchly Republican areas.’
- ‘Ninety-five percent of megachurches have a weekly Sunday school program.’
- ‘Sixty percent of megachurches always or often have altar calls in their services.’
- ‘I think a lot of the controversy comes from people just wanting to pick on megachurches.’
- ‘Combining a couple of local megachurches would exceed the entire diocese membership of about 37,000.’
- ‘In the northern Dallas suburb of Prosper, a new mega-church has just opened.’
- ‘Yet enough evangelicals to fill a couple of hundred megachurches have read them.’
- ‘Contrary to popular opinion, not all evangelicals attend mega-churches.’
- ‘They were however, rarely wealthy, in contrast to the megachurches of today.’
- ‘The number of Protestant megachurches has risen from just 50 in 1980 to nearly 900 now.’
- ‘Tonight, we will hear from the former volunteer at Haggard megachurch.’
- ‘Water rises past the windows of a mega-church, where thousands of members worshiped.’
- ‘I want to put our rural congregations up against the megachurch.’
- ‘They were really making fun of the people in the churches, in the tents, in the megachurches.’
- ‘An Episcopalian, Miller is an outsider to the megachurch movement.’
- ‘The pictures of the evangelical megachurches remind me of Las Vegas gambling palaces.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.