Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- short for megabyte
- ‘The downloadable video is 12 minutes in length and consists of 2 separate files: 4.8 meg and 3.4 meg, respectively.’
- ‘I just copied a few hundred megs of backup data, and it was complete in under two minutes.’
- ‘The game needs about 400 megs of space (if you opt for the maximum installation).’
- ‘I would post my best results for download with this review, but I doubt you'd want to wait for all 200 megs of it.’
- ‘Meanwhile, as is mentioned in the article, the ‘reward’ for this particular contest is 500 megs of online storage space - which a hacker could pretty easily claim on any machine he or she broke into.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.