One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Die.‘the film ended as poor Eddie met his Maker’
die, lose one's life, be killed, fall, expire, meet one's death, be lost, lay down one's life, breathe one's last, draw one's last breath, pass away, go the way of all flesh, give up the ghost, go to glory, meet one's maker, go to one's last resting place, cross the great divideView synonyms
- ‘Remember, some day each and every one of us will meet our Maker.’
- ‘Now do the rest of the world a favor and meet your Maker.’
- ‘In those days the retirement age was 55, after which a person could go home and prepare to meet his Maker.’
- ‘I thought at that point the carriage was going to roll over and I thought we were going to meet our Maker.’
- ‘But I do believe in God and I am not frightened to meet my Maker after death.’
- ‘For those of you, and there are so many, who will miss him, take comfort in the fact that he was set to meet his Maker.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.