Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The continuation of the spinal cord within the skull, forming the lowest part of the brainstem and containing control centres for the heart and lungs.→ medulla
- ‘Many arterial branches arise from the vertebral and basilar artery to supply the medulla oblongata and the pons.’
- ‘Scattered single tumor cells were also identified in the midbrain, pons, and medulla oblongata.’
- ‘The section cuts the medulla oblongata.’
- ‘Located at the base of the skull, the medulla oblongata is continuous with the spinal cord at the foramen magnum.’
- ‘In the lower part of the illustration is the cut surface of the medulla oblongata and a view of the ventral pons from below.’
Late 17th century: modern Latin, literally elongated medulla.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.