One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The continuation of the spinal cord within the skull, forming the lowest part of the brainstem and containing control centres for the heart and lungs.
- ‘In the lower part of the illustration is the cut surface of the medulla oblongata and a view of the ventral pons from below.’
- ‘The section cuts the medulla oblongata.’
- ‘Scattered single tumor cells were also identified in the midbrain, pons, and medulla oblongata.’
- ‘Many arterial branches arise from the vertebral and basilar artery to supply the medulla oblongata and the pons.’
- ‘Located at the base of the skull, the medulla oblongata is continuous with the spinal cord at the foramen magnum.’
Late 17th century: modern Latin, literally ‘elongated medulla’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.