One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A fruit fly whose larvae can be a serious pest of citrus and other fruits.
Ceratitis capitata, family TephritidaeAlso called medfly, chiefly in North America
- ‘In 1996 we detected Mediterranean fruit flies in one of our traps.’
- ‘One of the most notorious agricultural pests is the Mediterranean fruit fly, Ceratitis capitata.’
- ‘The Mediterranean fruit fly Ceratitis capitata is a major pest of many important agricultural products.’
- ‘The Mediterranean fruit fly, commonly called the medfly, is one of the world's most destructive agricultural pests.’
- ‘To fight outbreaks of the Mediterranean fruit fly, or medfly, states like California and Florida rely on shipments of millions of sexually sterile medflies reared in laboratories.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.