Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The history of the period from the 5th to the 15th centuries.
- ‘When they study ancient and medieval history of Europe, Bulgaria is present as well.’
- ‘At Birkbeck there is real growth in ancient and medieval history.’
- ‘The Peasants Revolt is the only truly popular uprising in English medieval history.’
- ‘In its new format, this one focuses on ancient and medieval history, which will be alternating with early modern.’
- ‘At the University of East Anglia, a third professor of medieval history has recently been appointed; and at Glasgow there have been two recent appointments in environmental history.’
- ‘I read in depth into medieval history, concentrating on the life of Thomas Becket.’
- ‘Lisa was a second-year history student, and planned to specialize in medieval history.’
- ‘In fact, he studied intellectual medieval history at Oxford before finding work as a political lobbyist in Washington.’
- ‘Richard Landes is a professor of medieval history and the director of the Center for Millennial Studies at Boston University.’
- ‘BBC History Magazine has found that medieval history and archaeology are the top ranking interests of their readers.’
- ‘This trilogy of works may well be seen as Rodney's major book-length contributions to medieval history.’
- ‘By this standard, he is similarly unqualified, as he is not a professor and his PhD was earned in medieval history.’
- ‘She attended Stanford University majoring in medieval history.’
- ‘Have I mentioned how fiddly medieval history is proving to be?’
- ‘That's why I know nothing more about English medieval history today, than I did yesterday.’
- ‘Nicholas Vincent is professor of medieval history at Christ Church College, Canterbury.’
- ‘Nora Berend is a lecturer in medieval history at the University of Cambridge.’
- ‘There are many good and not-so-good reasons for insisting on the value of history - and medieval history in particular - in schools.’
- ‘She took courses in modern history but nothing in medieval history.’
- ‘It is rich in architectural charm and medieval history.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.