One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A large European leech formerly used in medicine for bloodletting. After biting it secretes an anticoagulant to ensure the flow of blood.
Hirudo medicinalis, family Hirudidae
- ‘The medicinal leech, for example, which is coming back into fashion with plastic surgeons, has all but vanished from the countryside.’
- ‘There are many similar records of incredible numbers of medicinal leeches being used across Europe.’
- ‘In the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries, Europeans considered leeches a panacea, and used billions of European medicinal leeches for everything from obesity to headaches.’
- ‘The medicinal leech almost became extinct in Europe due to the extremely high demand for them.’
- ‘In the early 1980s, the application of medicinal leeches was found to be useful to patients after reconstructive surgery in cases where the blood circulation was poor.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.