One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An official whose duty is to investigate deaths occurring under unusual or suspicious circumstances, perform post-mortems, and initiate inquests.
- ‘The medical examiner's report isn't being put to any of those uses.’
- ‘So the medical examiner is charged with doing two things: figuring out cause and figuring out manner.’
- ‘Many of the autopsies in this group were performed under the authority of the local medical examiner.’
- ‘For instance, the two groups differed markedly over 107 deaths certified ‘homicide’ by the forensic pathologist medical examiners.’
- ‘Twenty two states have medical examiners to investigate unnatural or suspected unnatural deaths.’
- ‘A medical examiner used dental records to confirm the skull, which showed signs of injury, did belong to Todd.’
- ‘I spoke with Dr. Arden, the medical examiner in the District of Columbia this morning.’
- ‘The move comes after a medical examiner said the former intern died through the acts of another person.’
- ‘The medical examiners in our study were divided concerning the use of autopsy tissues for research purposes.’
- ‘The county medical examiner agreed, adding that his autopsy had disclosed no evidence of a heart attack or stroke.’
- ‘An additional case was brought to the authors' attention by a medical examiner.’
- ‘Dillon went to see the medical examiner who claimed that a man fitting the description of Marcus was found stabbed to death early in the morning.’
- ‘Similarly, contact with law enforcement, medical examiners and journalists in the investigative phases of the incident can affect outcomes.’
- ‘That's something that the medical examiner will try to determine, if that's possible, and then we'll go from there.’
- ‘We are awaiting the results of the medical examiner and any autopsy that may be performed.’
- ‘Notably, Rhode Island, unlike some other states, did not at the time have a law requiring medical examiners to refrain from performing autopsies over religious objections.’
- ‘In Nova Scotia, Canada, the medical examiner's office is under the jurisdiction of the Department of Justice.’
- ‘Well, medical examiners are performing an autopsy now on a 12-year-old girl who died at a Walt Disney World water park.’
- ‘And as I have found from my own experience as a forensic medical examiner, a strong stomach would be a close third.’
- ‘As a medical examiner, he is somewhere between a detective and a doctor.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.