One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An official whose duty is to investigate deaths occurring under unusual or suspicious circumstances, perform post-mortems, and initiate inquests.
- ‘Twenty two states have medical examiners to investigate unnatural or suspected unnatural deaths.’
- ‘The medical examiners in our study were divided concerning the use of autopsy tissues for research purposes.’
- ‘For instance, the two groups differed markedly over 107 deaths certified ‘homicide’ by the forensic pathologist medical examiners.’
- ‘The move comes after a medical examiner said the former intern died through the acts of another person.’
- ‘Many of the autopsies in this group were performed under the authority of the local medical examiner.’
- ‘Well, medical examiners are performing an autopsy now on a 12-year-old girl who died at a Walt Disney World water park.’
- ‘The medical examiner's report isn't being put to any of those uses.’
- ‘The county medical examiner agreed, adding that his autopsy had disclosed no evidence of a heart attack or stroke.’
- ‘Similarly, contact with law enforcement, medical examiners and journalists in the investigative phases of the incident can affect outcomes.’
- ‘An additional case was brought to the authors' attention by a medical examiner.’
- ‘That's something that the medical examiner will try to determine, if that's possible, and then we'll go from there.’
- ‘I spoke with Dr. Arden, the medical examiner in the District of Columbia this morning.’
- ‘So the medical examiner is charged with doing two things: figuring out cause and figuring out manner.’
- ‘Dillon went to see the medical examiner who claimed that a man fitting the description of Marcus was found stabbed to death early in the morning.’
- ‘Notably, Rhode Island, unlike some other states, did not at the time have a law requiring medical examiners to refrain from performing autopsies over religious objections.’
- ‘As a medical examiner, he is somewhere between a detective and a doctor.’
- ‘In Nova Scotia, Canada, the medical examiner's office is under the jurisdiction of the Department of Justice.’
- ‘A medical examiner used dental records to confirm the skull, which showed signs of injury, did belong to Todd.’
- ‘And as I have found from my own experience as a forensic medical examiner, a strong stomach would be a close third.’
- ‘We are awaiting the results of the medical examiner and any autopsy that may be performed.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.