One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A certificate from a doctor confirming the state of someone's health.
- ‘Older jumpers are asked to get a medical certificate first, he admits.’
- ‘She provided the company with appropriate medical certificates and asked for a contract of employment.’
- ‘The Department of Health says it has no way of estimating how many medical certificates issued by doctors are for people with pollution-related illnesses.’
- ‘The hearing was postponed twice as the Greek athletes provided medical certificates claiming they were too unwell to attend.’
- ‘They must have a medical certificate from their doctor permitting them to take part.’
- ‘Meanwhile, another judge accepted a medical certificate given to my fellow worker from the same doctor.’
- ‘Forgery of medical certificates has occurred for some time now, he said, however a new trend is forgery of training certificates.’
- ‘I rang around to find a doctor in Melbourne who was qualified to issue the requisite medical certificate for diving.’
- ‘They must also submit to a police check, provide a medical certificate and have held a normal driving licence for a year.’
- ‘To prepare for the pilgrimage, they also had to obtain visas, passports and medical certificates, and attend haj training courses.’
- ‘It took him six months to persuade his doctor to sign the medical certificate allowing him to do the tandem parachute jump.’
- ‘Absence, unsupported by an adequate medical certificate, will not be accepted as an excuse.’
- ‘I'm off to visit the doctor in about half an hour to get a medical certificate for work since I'm supposed to be working.’
- ‘GPs have recently compiled a list of bizarre reasons for requesting medical certificates.’
- ‘The case was adjourned for her to attend with a medical certificate but she still failed to appear.’
- ‘‘I am accusing him of faking an injury, faking pain to get a medical certificate from a doctor,’ he said.’
- ‘A medical certificate confirming vaccination is now required before visas will be issued.’
- ‘The employer, however, will have to pay for the medical certificate.’
- ‘When an obese diver with a valid medical certificate has difficulties under water, do you blame their doctor?’
- ‘The eligibility requirement is also based on a medical certificate from the attending doctor for the ill family member.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.