One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person who attempts to make people involved in a conflict come to an agreement; a go-between.‘the government appointed a mediator to assist in finding a resolution to the dispute’
arbitrator, arbiter, negotiator, conciliator, go-between, middleman, intermediary, moderator, intervenor, interceder, intercessor, reconciler, broker, honest broker, liaison officer, peacemaker, umpire, referee, adjudicator, judgeView synonyms
- ‘Calcium ions as mediators of intracellular signalling are crucial for development of apoptosis.’
- ‘He'd used a mediator to negotiate over a period of several weeks to try and get better terms.’
- ‘Judges who leave the bench in any state can go into practice as private mediators or arbitrators.’
- ‘If this is not successful, an independent mediator is chosen to negotiate a settlement.’
- ‘The mediators had a tall order bringing together parties with fixed and opposing goals.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.