Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A person who attempts to make people involved in a conflict come to an agreement; a go-between.‘the government appointed a mediator to assist in finding a resolution to the dispute’
arbitrator, arbiter, negotiator, conciliator, go-between, middleman, intermediary, moderator, intervenor, interceder, intercessor, reconciler, broker, honest broker, liaison officer, peacemaker, umpire, referee, adjudicator, judgeView synonyms
- ‘The mediators had a tall order bringing together parties with fixed and opposing goals.’
- ‘Judges who leave the bench in any state can go into practice as private mediators or arbitrators.’
- ‘If this is not successful, an independent mediator is chosen to negotiate a settlement.’
- ‘He'd used a mediator to negotiate over a period of several weeks to try and get better terms.’
- ‘Calcium ions as mediators of intracellular signalling are crucial for development of apoptosis.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.