Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- another term for Mediterranean fruit fly
- ‘It was a medfly, a threat to a billion-dollar fruit industry.’
- ‘The Mediterranean fruit fly, commonly called the medfly, is one of the world's most destructive agricultural pests.’
- ‘A young wasp grows inside the medfly, eventually killing it.’
- ‘After apparently being eradicated by 1930, the medfly was spotted again in 1956 in Miami.’
- ‘The medfly and the melon fly both arrived in the late 1800s; the oriental fruit fly came in 1945; and the Malaysian fruit fly is the newcomer, first being found in Hawaii in 1983.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.